It didn't take me long to complete the centre of my Sarah Fielke BOM, and I'm very pleased with it. Despite the fact that some of the houses have lost the apexes of their roofs, the whole thing measures just a smidgeon bigger than the 40.5" Sarah has allowed. I don't think that will be a problem, as I can either fudge it or trim a bit off the blue border. I'll wait and see what is the best thing to do. Now to wait to see what comes next!
Monday, 19 June 2017
Tuesday, 6 June 2017
I couldn't resist finishing the pineapple quilt!
I put the blocks offset slightly and added a few squares in the middle to fill it up. I was going to put a yellow piano keys border, but then decided a green one would look good. When I looked in the Linus box for green fabric, I found this one, and surprise, surprise, there was enough for the border. I'm delighted at how it's turned out, as I think it's really fun! Maybe I could use the same technique for apples or oranges? We'll see.
So then I was motivated to continue with my Down the Rabbit Hole centre. One more sunflower and I'll be ready for the border.
Saturday, 3 June 2017
I've nearly finished my 'Down the rabbit hole' BOM and only have a row of houses to attach and three more corners to complete, so I suppose I should be working on them.
Or maybe I should be getting on with this scrappy quilt which is using up some of the pieces in the 2" bin.
Well, I saw this pineapple block on aquiltinglife.com site, and just had to raid the 2.5" box for yellow and green squares to have a play.
Monday, 29 May 2017
I have successfully completed Happy Days, designed by Sarah Fielke!
Here it is on our lawn the other day. I quilted the main part of the quilt with an all over design in cream thread and then feathers all round the border. Having seen another version of this quilt which had been beautifully long armed but with a more open design, I wish my quilting wasn't quite so dense. But there is no way I'm undoing it, and in any case, it's a finish, so what's not to like?
I am getting on with my 2017 Sarah Fielke BOM, but haven't done all the houses yet.
I'm trying to shop in my stash before I go further afield, and so far have succeeded very well. However, Sarah's measurements for the foundation piecing are very generous, which makes for a great result, but is rather wasteful. So, I have run out of roof fabric. Never mind, luckily I managed to find something which is nearly the same, so all is good.Only four more sets of houses and then I need to make decisions about the centre circle (is the red too much? Would green be better?) and the narrow border (definitely green, but is that one too busy?)
I'll finish the houses and then decide.
Sunday, 14 May 2017
My husband has had a lovely day today, as he has been out watching cricket. I have had a lovely day today, as my husband has been out watching cricket! While the cat's away, the mice will . . . . . . . . . . .
First of all I got the next two blocks done for my Challenge group. They are the next two blocks in Pat Sloan's Garden Mystery from 2016. The challenge is to use fabric styles from the late 19th century, and mine are conversational prints and paisley designs.
Here is my progress so far, and I'm very pleased with this set of blocks. There are ten blocks altogether, which will make for a good sized quilt.
With those blocks safely ticked off my list, I continued with one of the UFOs on my list.
This Mile A Minute Stars is now quilted and has the binding on and ready to be stitched down. Another UFO bites the dust!
Wednesday, 10 May 2017
There has been some sewing going on here, and quite a bit of quilting. I have more sympathy for people who enlist the help of a long arm quilter to finish their quilts, as large quilts are such hard work to quilt on a domestic machine. Apart from the amount of work, it's the physical heaving about of it to turn and manipulate the bulk in the machine's throat. Never mind, I think it's all worth it in the end.
And here is my Big Circles all done! It's not perfect, but it's finished and I love it! The large circles are a Kathy Doughty pattern and the small ones are Kansas sunflowers. Both sets of circles were made by hand the American method (i.e. Not over papers) as holiday hand sewing distractions. The design, such as it is, is my own.
This Scrappy Irish Chain is a completed top. A great way to use up 2.5" squares.
And then there is this shy, retiring little violet. It's a MAM Star quilt from my UFO Challenge list. This is next to be layered and quilted. I'm certainly pleased at how well I'm getting through my UFO list, and I'm not adding too many on at the end either! Well, not toooo many!
Sunday, 30 April 2017
Despite a few days in Portsmouth this week (visiting the Historic Dockyard etc - fabulous!) I have managed a bit of sewing. I am steadily quilting my big circles quilt. This one I've decided to quilt block by block, and it's going very well. The quilting process is showing my poor workmanship,and lack of accuracy, but I did the best I could, nod at least it'll be a finish!
The pink spiders Web quilt is finished. I thoroughly enjoyed making this and surely it must have made a bit of a dent in the pink scraps bag!
And here is another scrap project. It's a kind of scrappy Irish Chain. I added a number of plain turquoise squares to the mix to add a bit of unity, and after adding a white border, will bind it in the turquoise. This has definitely made a dent in the 2.5" box - I can get the lid on now!
I must work up the courage to quilt the border of my Happy Days quilt, but not just yet! I went over the The Bramble Patch yesterday and watched their long arm effortlessly and automatically sewing beautiful feathers onto a quilt. It won't be automatic or effortless for me, but at least I'll have the satisfaction of having done it myself!