Friday 25 July 2008

Shakespeare returns!

This isn't a recent quilt, but it has returned from London and I love it so much, I wanted to share it. It's been displayed on DS's wall for the last few years - very appropriate for a house of stage managers and theatre professionals I thought! They were also pleased, because it brightened up a rather drab rented house in Wood Green.

It's made using Heat and Bond, and is a technique used by Therese May. She used it to make just faces, but I wanted to do something special with the technique. I spent a while trying to think of a recognisable image, and finally came up with old Shakey here. I used some of my collection of fabric with writing on it, including some with Japanese, to signal his world-wide influence.
I wanted to machine quotes about sewing round the border, but surprisingly, although Shakespeare seems to have lots to say on lots of issues, he doesn't say much about the needle arts. However, he does have the best things to say, and one quote I love is this, 'The spinsters and knitters in the sun.' How I aspire to be one of those! I sewed it along the bottom border.
And the title of the quilt? It had to be - 'I love my Willy!'

6 comments:

almariada said...

Oh I love this! :)

How wonderful! Will you allow me to have a copy in my blog?! Naturaly linked to yours! Please! :)

I wish you the best!

almariada said...

Thank you so much! :)

Anonymous said...

Trust you to call it something smutty... Is it any wonder I turned out the way I did?! x

almariada said...

Hello Lynda! I have your Shakespeare quilt in my blog now! It is lovely! Thank you so much!

I wish you he best! :)

sewkalico said...

LOL. We had a cat called Willy (becasue she didn't have one- named by one of my mother's friends!). My brother and I called her Willamina out of embarassment...

black bear cabin said...

what a clever quilt...i LOVE it!!! so glad you got it back so you could share photos with us! :)