Sunday 6 July 2008

Two down, three to go!

I have finally finished my second quilt in Peg's challenge. It's a Chaos Crumb quilt in pastels, to show how good this block looks in restricted colours (for those who find scrappy just too scarey!).


It's a very dull and wet day here, so the photo looks a bit dull too, but you can just see the flowers quilted on the white spaces. It's a cot quilt (I've just found out that one of my colleagues is pregnant with her first baby! Congratulations Katharine and Mike!) as I seem to be needing quite a few of these this year!

I've also put the borders on quilt number 3. These houses were the result of a block swap. You made up a block, put it in a bag with the pattern, and then passed it round the group. When the bag gets back to you, you've had the chance to make 10 blocks you might not have tried before, and got enough blocks for a quilt. I loved these houses, but they have been languishing in my UFO box for several years! I orginally put the green border all the way round, but felt it was too heavy, so added blue at the top. I'm not sure it's working completely - maybe I need something to soften the transition. Any ideas? I'll try and get it layered today (we won't be doing much in this current weather!) and can easily add any improvements then.

6 comments:

loulee said...

That cot quilt is sooooo pretty.

The houses look great too, but I have to agree with you on the sudden change to blue, not sure how to ease the transition though.

Tonya Ricucci said...

ooh, those pastel crumbs are pretty - gorgeous little quilt. um, now the houses are bottom heavy. I dont' think it's the transition from one to the other so much as the color balance.

applique something on the light blue in a dark color???? cut the whole border down so that this is an inner border and then add another one all the way around. A medium this time or at least something way closer to light.maybe the color of quilting thread you choose will make a real difference too.

OR, maybe it's just fine the way it is. Might be perfect for a bed quilt as it is - try putting it on the bed. if it's a lap quilt, does it really matter? no. only if you're displaying it on a wall, would I worry.

Fiona said...

Love the pastel crumb cot quilt - might just have to copy that idea!

sewkalico said...

Very pretty crumb quilt!!!! I like the houses and to be honest the transition didn't bother me until you mentioned it, but perhaps on the green border where it touches the middle row of house you could applique some lighter green 'bits' and/or some mid-blue bits. Alternatively when you quilt it, quilt more heavily along the border touching that middle row of houses??

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Lovely colours in your quilt...so soft..and I love the houses...congrats on another finish Lynda

Juliann in WA said...

Could you do a light blue inner border and then the green? Or I like tonya's ideas about adding some applique on the light blue. I do love those houses.