Tuesday 12 July 2011

Another finish!

I've been on a roll recently, and have finished my log cabin quilt. It's a scrappy light/dark quilt, and I'm really pleased at how well it's turned out.

It's in quite an unusual arrangement, called 'Streak of Lightning (variation)' taken from an 1850 quilt pictured in Laura Fisher's book 'Quilts of Illusion'. I think it's a good one.







I quilted the darks with a meander in variegated thread,








and the lights with a feathered wreath motif. This was done freehand. I drew three concentric circles and used them as guidelines. I quilted a circle over the middle ring, and then did feathers above and below, using the pencilled lines as edge guides. Looks good to me.





And I finally decided to give away my 'Roll, roll, cotton boll'. I was sad to see it go, but the look on Stephanie's face made me certain that I'd made the right decision!

4 comments:

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Another great finish!! Love the free-hand feathers!

sewkalico said...

Wow! lovely quilt. I love Log Cabins, one of my all time favourite quilt blocks! Your RRCB looks fabulous too.

Contented Caroline said...

Love it Lynda - looks great.

black bear cabin said...

Looks like retirement has been good to you :) love it...heck, i love both! congrats on another finish!