Tuesday 23 October 2012

Holiday

DH and I have just been on holiday to the Holy Land (or Israel, if you're not sure where that is!).  Not being religious, I was a little trepidacious about the trip, but I needn't have worried, as it was fabulous!  We went on an organised tour which visited all the Christian sites plus a lot of historical ones, and since I love history, I was in my element!  I won't bore you with all my snaps, but just tantalise you with some artistic inspiration!  Here is a possible applique idea from the Church of the Beatitudes.
 
 
 A quilting motif on the top of a pillar in Caesarea.

 
 Celtic applique designs plus quilt blocks from a mosaic in Bethlehem.

 
Islamic motifs of flowers and flowing shapes from Jerusalem (although I think I'll need a magnifying glass to see them properly!)

 
More quilt blocks from Jerusalem.

 
And just a little sample of the gorgeous eye candy - all the colours of the rainbow!- in the souk in Jerusalem.  (Can you see the little boy minding the shop?  So cute!)

 
And finally, just thought you might be amused by this picture of myself bobbing in the Dead Sea.

 
                                                                            Look, no hands!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Lovely photos and what an inspirational trip!

The only thing I don't do in the pool is float on my back, I sink like a stone! Perhaps I should take my own supply of salt. Lol

Liz said...

lovely holiday and super quilty inspiration. I look forward to seeing your next project!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time. Can't wait to hear about it in more detail :o)

Those mosaics are so like the ones I saw at Chedworth Roman Villa in the summer. How fascinating.

Ali H said...

Hi Lynda
Was thinking about you today & just thought I would look you up ! You seem to have had a great trip to Israel - who knew there were quilt inspirations at every turn ! Just looking though your other posts - you seems as organised & prolific as ever ! I haven't sewn in ages (although the bed in the spare room is whispering it wants a quilt !! - will have to wait until Christmas is over !) but do a fair bit of scrapbooking & art journalling (www.craftcauldron.blogspot.com if you ever want to stop by !) to keep me sane from drowning at work ! Glad to see you are well - love to Richard & your Chicks !! Ali xx