Monday 8 October 2012

Shocking!

If you are of a nervous disposition, I advise you to read no further!  (Don't worry - it's not spiders, it's something MUCH worse!)  Today I had to pop into Rugby on an errand, and while I was there I decided to see if I could buy some red fabric.  Recently I noticed that my red drawer was a bit depleted, so thought I'd see if I could add to it.  I successfully bought a couple of fat quarters and a half metre for a good price, and returned home in a happy mood.  (This is where it gets really shocking!)
I always wash my fabrics (usually in the washing machine with everything else) but since I didn't have any washing to do, I decided to wash them quickly in the sink.  When I put the first piece into the water, this is what I saw!
 
Just look at the colour of that water!  I've had fabrics bleed a bit of colour before, but never as badly as this!  Thank goodness I washed it before it ended up in a quilt!  Now it's had several rinses and is on the line with its fellows, ready to behave perfectly in the future.  What a cautionary tale!

2 comments:

Liz said...

I thought bleeding reds were a thing of the past. Thank you for this cautionary tale.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Wow you weren't kidding when you said shocking pink! I always pre-wash for this very reason!