Thursday 15 August 2013

More hand piecing

I have become a firm follower of the Material Obsession style, and couldn't wait for the issue of their new book.  Why they changed the original title from 'Making Quilts - the Promise of Joy' I have no idea, but luckily, the inside of the book seems to be the same!
 
 
The book is, for me, much like a Kaffe Fassett quilt book - a source of inspiration and eye candy rather than a pattern book.  Both Kaffe and Kathy are masters of bright colours and unusual combinations which look effortless, but I have found (to my cost and dismay) are far from that. 

 
I really wanted to have a go at these spirals.  (I'm fascinated by circles at the moment.)  I've hand pieced it, and I'm sure it will look fine once I've ironed it.  It WILL!

 
And here is the next one beginning.

 
And here is the reason that I'm hand piecing and can't iron my blocks - we're on holiday in Penzance for the week.  Here is DH at Land's End.  Can you see America in the distance?  It's the next land mass, so should be out there somewhere!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I love hand piecing - I love this book and I love circles !! There are several quilts in the book that are calling my name but I really do NOT want to start something new !! Enjoy your holiday and tell your hub he has a great set of pins - lol x

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I can see it! if you squint I'm sure America is there...or Canada! LOL

audrey said...

Oh good job for starting work on the spirals! They are so exciting and I'm sure they'll iron out properly! Have a great holiday!

Frog Quilter said...

Where did you get your template for the twirls? Thanks