Tuesday 15 December 2015

Playing with leftovers

I spent a while sorting out the Orphan blocks which had been donated to Project Linus over the last few months, and managed to make up several quilt 'kits' for my lovely Linus ladies to make up.  Amongst the blocks was a small bag of components left over from Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt Celtic Solstice.  The quilt had been completed (by Julie) and donated, and it seemed a shame that these leftovers were languishing in a plastic bag.  So, I sewed them together to make nine 9-patch blocks, sashed and bordered, and here is the result.


I was lucky to find this fabulous Viking fabric at my local quilt shop, and it makes a perfect border.  Good result! 
So then I turned to some Mile a Minute blocks which have been made into HSTs.  Again, the quilt was finished ages ago , and just 20 blocks remain. Here they are. 


Quite uninspiring. Is this a better arrangement? 


The green dominates, and it's so boring!  What about this? 


Better.  And this? 


Even better!  Maybe some applique in the centre?  Any ideas? 









2 comments:

black bear cabin said...

i like the last two designs best :) But i love the first quilt with the stars and viking border....that came out really pretty! I dont get to visit blogs as much as i would like nowadays, but i still think of you :) Hope you have a wonderful christmas!

Unknown said...

By the time you have pieced these blocks the centre green square will be smaller. I cannot tell what scale this piece is but unless they are big blocks I doubt it will need any appliqué on it.